Thursday, September 20, 2007

一人一半,感情不散

I finally decided to catch 881, the local production of the year (and top grossing Asian film of the year in Singapore), on the big screen. This is the first time I am watching a movie directed by Royston Tan, a local director with multiple accolades for his short films.

The movie tells the story of 2 female getai (歌台)singer, the Papaya sisters, done in Moulin Rouge/Chicago style. It has a fascinating display of colorful stage costumes and strings of famous Hokkien songs, known to Singaporean heartlanders. I found the film a bit too draggy (110 minutes long) at times. Nonetheless the movies has its fair share of songs, laughter and emotional moment.

With Singapore Dreaming leaving quite an impression on me last year, its inevitable to compare the two. Both has its touching moment. 881 has more comedy and fairy tale elements in it, and special effects leh (gulp). Singapore Dreaming was more down to earth in storytelling. (Coincidentally, Yeo Yann Yann acted in both)

But then again, I found myself humming the song even after I left the cinema. So was it successful?


一人一半,感情不散.
一人一素古,感情才会久.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home