Saturday, March 03, 2007

Big car make big turn

Long long time ago, actually not very long. It was about one and a half year ago. It was during lunch hour, and me and my colleagues had just had our favorite Beach Road Prawn Noodles. I was happily driving back to office, along East Coast road, following behind a red Toyota Altis when suddenly the car stop abruptly, due to a Jaguar Coupe cutting into her lane.

Apparently the Jag driver was coming from the right lane to go into his office carpark on the left. The lady driver in front of my car had initially thought he was just doing a filtering to the left. But upon realising he was in fact trying to get into the carpark instead of proceeding straight on, she slam the brake immediately. Although she manage to avoid collision with the Jag, I was too close for comfort and had little time to react. I swirl my car a bit in that moment of instance and hit the brake at the same time but it was too late.

My car bang into the red Altis' rear and the collision pushed her car forward and bang into the left side of the Jag.

Fortunately, no one was hurt in this accident. I was still counting my blessing, especially since I had a potential bride-to-be at that time amongst my passenger.

Photos were taken by my colleagues, and by those road 'vultures' (people who look out for car accident and offered towing and repair services). The road accident forms were filled up and particulars were exchanged before I got my car towed to the workshop.

During the exchange of information, one of my colleague overheard that the Jag driver commented (to somebody) that his car was big and he had to make such a wide turn to go into his car park. And he seems to insinuate that the red car was not at fault since she manage to 'stop' in time, but the accident was caused by my collision.


View of the Jaguar from inside the private carpark entrance.

Another view of the Jag from the car park entrance.

A view of the red Altis from the left.

The red Altis' front right bumper.


The damage on the Jaguar.

View of the damage on the rear's right side.

The position of the red altis after collision

Close up of the rear damage of the red Altis.

My car's damage.

Why I decided to blog about it was because almost two years have gone and the Jaguar owner is still seeking repair claim from both of us. Apparently, he was not happy with the original allocation of damage liabilities, everyone (including the owner) has a part in the repair cost of the Jaguar, which I heard was about 12K SGD.

Next Monday, I would have to go to the subordinate court to appear before a judge and re-iterate my statement to him and get a new judgement.

It shall be my first time stepping into a court. I can only hope for the best...

Update: See here for outcome of the judgment.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a rather late response.

But I will say this: most jurisdictions I know would fault you 100%. The red Altis would be faulted 50%. The Jaguar at 0%.

The logic is that both Altises were following too close to one another. The greatest risk is always in front of you, regardless of the actions done by the Jaguar, as it was the leading vehicle for a moment in time.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger JT said...

It never came across my mind that I am not responsible for the accident. Last car - main culprit. period.

I was just amazed at the comment made by the first driver. It gives me the impression that he is always right to do that, by virtue of the size of his machine.

Incidentally, judgment has been made and both of us were given equal responsibility by the judge. See a follow-up post on the details of the judgment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home