Sunday, December 03, 2006

Standard Chartered Marathon 2006

Woke up at 4 am and got ready for my marathon. Went over to KC house to pick him and Alex. Arrived at the Raffles City Shopping Center around 5.20 am and found that there is still about 200 lots left. But later in the day I found the parking fee was $6.81 when we left the car park at 12 plus. I think next year must alternative parking place ;-)

Alex, me and KC@Swisshotel Lobby

KC started his full marathon first while me and Alex met up with Clement at the fountain. My old classmate Dave also came along to meet us. We started together but eventually all of them moved ahead without me. Every runner was moving quite fast for the first 6 km but soon after people started to slow down. I just jogged at my own pace and managed to hit the 10 km mark using 1 hour 8 minutes.

Along the way, I saw a lady running with an attached rubber tyre behind her. I believe she was an activist trying to promote reuse and recyling. Admirable lady.

This year, there was quite alot of drink station so I tried to consume mixture of water and 100 plus at different station. I finally had my first stop at one of the drink station, 1 hour 50 minutes into the run. The rest of the time I either jogged or walked when I felt too strenuous.

At the final 2 km, I was clocking around 2 hr 20 minutes. Then somewhere along the road between Esplanade and Marina Square, one guy in front of me suddenly started limping and went down on all four. I hesitated a bit and finally stop to help him relieved his cramp. Another runner also stopped to help. Once we confirm he is okay, we proceeded with our run again.

I hit the 20KM marker at the Esplanade bridge with 2 minutes left to my targetted timing. I pushed forward as hard as I could and sprinted cross the finishing line at 2 hour 33 minutes.Though slightly longer than my goal, it is still an improvement over my Sheares Bridge Run timing.

My marathon timing

My first StandChart half-marathon medal

It was a good run to conclude 2006 and hopefully I can do better for my next marathon :-)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger aud said...

well done!

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats wor! got medal sommore

CL.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"old classmate"?? me still very young wor... hahahaha...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home